Veil Drawn Back

Exploring Redemption in Modern Liturgy and a Life of Worship

Friday, February 3, 2012

Worship Gathering February 5, 2012

This week the sermon will be from Luke 22 where Jesus unpacks the themes of greatness and humility for his disciples.  As I was meditating on this passage I was taken to Daniel 4 with a story about the Babylonian king, Nebuchadnezzar.  This proud king is brought to a lowly state, from exalted king to a grotesque animal, all because of his great pride.  God curses him by turning him into what he is acting like (similar to Edmund becoming a dragon in C.S. Lewis' "Voyage of the Dawn Treader").  But God graciously restores the imago Dei to Nebuchadnezzar and allows the king to "come to his senses" and repent of his arrogance (for animals are unable to come to their senses and repent).  God, then restores Nebuchadnezzar to a greater kingship than before because now the Babylonian king understands himself within the reign of the High King.  


This narrative foreshadows the exaltation of Christ in a surprising way.  It was not arrogance that brought Jesus low.  It was His willingness to not consider equality with God something to be grasped and to empty Himself that led to His low state.  But the similarity is in the animal-like-ness of the Babylonian king and Jesus.  Jesus became like a lamb led to the slaughter.  Jesus was whipped and beaten beyond recognition.  He was treated like an animal.  But at the resurrection of the Son, God exalted Jesus and restored His Kingship as He sat down at the right hand of the Father.  This exaltation brought the imago Dei to its intended glory.  Just as Nebuchadnezzar's resurrection from an animal-like state was a realignment of reality around the High King so too was Jesus' resurrection from the dead a realignment of the universe around the High King, whose name is Jesus.


This Sunday's liturgy puts us within the story of restoration to the glory of being God's image bearers.  Jesus has rescued us from our arrogance and pride.  As we sing and pray and read these passages, we are brought back into the reality of the high and exalted King Jesus. 



All Creatures of Our God and King
ST. FRANCIS of ASSISI; Arr. and DAVID CROWDER Public Domain.© 2003 Christian Music Pub. CCLI 1888005

All creatures of our God and King
Lift up your voice and with us sing
O praise Him, alleluia
Thou burning sun with golden beam
Thou silver moon with softer gleam
O praise Him, O praise Him
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

Thou rushing wind that art so strong
Ye clouds that sail in heav'n along
O praise Him, alleluia
Thou rising moon in praise rejoice
Ye lights of evening find a voice
O praise Him, O praise Him
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

Let all things their Creator bless
And worship Him in humbleness
O praise Him, alleluia
Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son
And praise the Spirit, Three in One
O praise Him, O praise Him
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

Call to Worship — Psalm 34:1-9

I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together! I sought the LORD, and he answered me   and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack!

How Great Is Our God
© 2004 worshiptogether.com songs, sixsteps Music, Alletrop Music / C. Tomlin, E. Cash & J. Reeves / CCLI#1888005

The splendor of the King, clothed in majesty;
let all the earth rejoice, all the earth rejoice.
He wraps himself in light, and darkness tries to hide,
and trembles at his voice, and trembles at his voice.

How great is our God!  Sing with me:  How great is our God!
And all will see how great, how great is our God!

And age to age he stands, and time is in his hands;
Beginning and the End, Beginning and the End.
The Godhead, three in one, Father, Spirit, Son,
The Lion and the Lamb, the Lion and the Lamb.

Name above all names, worthy of all praise.
My heart will sing:  How great is our God!

Then sings my soul, my Savior, God to Thee,
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

A Humbled King — Daniel 4:28-33

All this came upon King Nebuchadnezzar. At the end of twelve months he was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, and the king answered and said, “Is not this great Babylon, which I have built by my mighty power as a royal residence and for the glory of my majesty?” While the words were still in the king’s mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, “O King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: The kingdom has departed from you, and you shall be driven from among men, and your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field. And you shall be made to eat grass like an ox, and seven periods of time shall pass over you, until you know that the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will.” Immediately the word was fulfilled against Nebuchadnezzar. He was driven from among men and ate grass like an ox, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven till his hair grew as long as eagles’ feathers, and his nails were like birds’ claws.

How Deep the Father’s Love for Us
© 1995 Thankyou Music / Stuart Townend / CCLI#1888005

How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure
that he should give his only son, to make a wretch his treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turns his face away
as wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory.

Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon his shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held him there until it was accomplished;
his dying breath has brought me life.  I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything:  no gifts, no power, no wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ:  his death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from his reward?  I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart: his wounds have paid my ransom.

An Exalted King — Daniel 4:34-37

At the end of the days I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High, and praised and honored him who lives forever, for his dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom endures from generation to generation; all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven   and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand   or say to him, “What have you done?” At the same time my reason returned to me, and for the glory of my kingdom, my majesty and splendor returned to me. My counselors and my lords sought me, and I was established in my kingdom, and still more greatness was added to me. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less
Public Domain.  Edward Mote & William Bradbury / CCLI#1888005

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand,
all other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils his lovely face, I rest on his unchanging grace;
in every high and stormy gale my anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, his covenant, his blood support me in the whelming flood;
when all around my soul gives way, he then is all my hope and stay.

When he shall come with trumpet sound, O may I then in him be found
dressed in his righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne.                                                                                                                                  

Scripture – Luke 22:24-30

Sermon “Greatness…According to Jesus”         David Royes

Offering & Prayerful Interlude

Closing Song of Joy

His Love Can Never Fail
©2004 Christopher Miner Music. Words: E.S. Hall. Music: Christopher Miner. CCLI1888005

I do not ask to see the way My feet will have to tread;
But only that my soul may feed Upon the living Bread.
’Tis better far that I should walk By faith close to His side;
I may not know the way I go, But oh, I know my Guide.

His love can never fail, His love can never fail,
My soul is satisfied to know His love can never fail.
My soul is satisfied to know His love can never fail.

And if my feet would go astray, They cannot, for I know
That Jesus guides my falt’ring steps, As joyfully I go.
And tho’ I may not see His face, My faith is strong and clear,
That in each hour of sore distress My Savior will be near.

I will not fear, tho’ darkness come Abroad o’er all the land,
If I may only feel the touch Of His own loving hand.
And tho’ I tremble when I think How weak I am, and frail,
My soul is satisfied to know His love can never fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment